This was last week’s Spaghetti Sunday supper (8/4). It was really good. I adapted this from quite a few different recipes, only to realize that this is basically the Stuff Shells recipe that you’ll find on the back of any box of Jumbo Shells. Oh well – sometimes those are the best recipes! And this one was mighty tasty and earned positive reviews from the Husb, so who cares if it’s on the back of a box?! Not me. I liked this recipe because it’s hearty but surprisingly lighter than other stuffed shells recipes I’ve tried. Probably because I lightened up some of the ingredients. Anyway, make this, it’s good.
Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Shells
- 1 package of jumbo pasta shells
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cartons (15 oz. each) part-skim ricotta cheese (plus a bit more to sprinkle on top)
- 1 cup light Mozzarella cheese (plus a bit more to sprinkle on top)
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1.5 jars of Ragu sauce
- Pre-heat your oven to 350.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. While the pasta cooks, combine the egg (don’t forget to lightly beat it), ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, spinach, Parmesan, salt, oregano and pepper in a large bowl.
- Drain the shells and rinse them in cold water (prevents them from sticking to each other).
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with Pam.
- Spoon the spinach/cheese mixture into each shell and place them into the greased baking dish.
- Pour spaghetti sauce over the shells. Top with additional grated Parmesan and Mozzarella.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Mangia! Mangia!
Image from foodnetwork.com